Moulton Laboratories
the art and science of sound

Comments

Feb 02, 2012 12:16 PM
Let me know when Stereophile magazine or Absolute Sound magazine rates the B&O the best sounding OEM sound system in the world. we have Naim, Meridian, Burmester, B&W, and I am sure others will be going after this market since people are getting up with Bose and starting to give up on Harmon Kardon. The Mark Levinson is nothing more than other components with Mark Levinison's name on it.
Rich Davis
Groton, MA     Feb 09, 2012 12:38 PM
Actually, The Absolute Sound gave the BeoLab 5 a superb review, just so you know.

I don't know how you can reasonably rate high-end car systems with any precision. The B&O system for the Audi A8 is really excellent, in my opinion – I'm very proud of how it came out. And I'm very gratified by how it has moved down through the Audi model line, as well as morphing over into Aston Martins, Mercedes and, now, BMWs.

Currently, I have a Harman Logic 7 system in one of my cars and it also is really good, particularly in surround. I'm favorably impressed, and don't feel the need for anything better in a car, thanks.

Thanks again for writing.

Dave
Dave Moulton
     Feb 09, 2012 11:42 PM
yeah, i know the hype around the B&O's. I personally think the lens design used might have a little problem if listended to off axis from that center portion of the lens. to me, high frequencies are very directional, right? Well, if you look inside the lens, the tweeter is faceing up, and the sound gets funneled into the lens, but on either side of that lens are flat and the sound will reflect back towards the tweeter, If you listen to those speakers off axis, the high end tends to sound kind of smeared and loses detail. Plus, I am not a fan of B&O's electronics. they are just cool looking nice sounding, but not great sounding for me to buy their products.. I think they overall, if push came to shove, they are nice, but the audiophile community would put other speakers by mfg like Meridian, B&W, MBL, FOCAL, Wilson, etc. above B&O.
Rich Davis
Uk     Mar 05, 2013 03:54 PM
Rich Davis, I suggest that you listen to the beolab 5 and base your judgement of it on that experience, rather than on what you think about a technology based on looking at it. There are a number of ground breaking technologies in this product.

I heard them once, albeit for several hours, and immediately recognised significant and substantial advantages over other speaker systems I have heard.

I was pretty open minded about this product to begin with, but audiophile friends have been a lot more resistant. It is almost as if they are unwilling to trust their own ears. Possibly this is because they really don't want to accept that a single product produces better sound that the crazy voodoo audio systems they own. In the end, nobody I know who has listened to these things has been able to resist them. That includes hardened audiophiles, installers and sound engineers.
JonB
Uk     Mar 05, 2013 03:59 PM
By the way Rich, the whole purpose of the tweeter design in the beolab 5 is to disperse high frequencies and avoid beaming. The result is that first reflections have the same tonality as direct sound. Read Dave's articles to see why this is important.
JonB
     Mar 12, 2013 11:01 AM
I'll add my 2 cents here regarding Bang & Olufsen. I just picked up a laptop with Bang & Olufsen speakers and honestly? The best sound ever. I'm impressed that they have pushed into other avenues because they do things right. I'm a fan for life.
Bro Jake